Chayet & Danzo, LLC Chayet & Danzo, LLC
Law Pay

Call for a Free Initial Consultation

Direct 303-872-5980
Toll-Free 888-472-1088
Email Us


After careful review of the COVID-19 environment, the law firm of Chayet & Danzo, LLC, will be conducting in-person appointments in our offices on a limited basis and with strict social distancing protocols.

During this time, our team will continue to diligently work remotely on all client matters and will maintain communication through email, telephone, and video conferencing. Our main office number, (303) 355-8500 will continue to be answered during our normal business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Fridays.

This decision to have limited appointments in-office while following strict social distancing protocols is in the best interest and health of our team, clients and community.

We will continue accepting new clients during this period as well as fully servicing our existing clients.

We wish you and your family continued health during these unique and challenging times.

Compassion, talent and dedication: guiding colorado families and Their Trusted Advisors During Times of Need

Part III: Transferring property to a trust

In our series on trust basics, we have talked about formation documents as well as the different types of trusts and their purposes. Once you have completed all the up-front work and have a trust, you must fund it.

Tied in with funding a trust may be the need to obtain a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) from the IRS. This TIN allows the trust to open financial accounts and file stand-alone tax returns. Requesting this number is as easy as completing Form SS-4 and returning it to the IRS.

Re-title property 

Mistakes are easy to make when transferring title. But the biggest errors is simply forgetting about this requirement.

The first step to change the title of property involves naming. For example, you might re-title the property to “Jane Smith as Trustee for the Orville Smith Cabin Trust on June 23, 2017.” This trust is designed to keep a cabin in the family and available for relatives to get together. Jane Smith, one of the cousins, has agreed to serve as trustee.

Depending on what you want to transfer to the trust, you will need to follow different processes to re-title the property. To transfer the 50 share of Alphabet, Inc. stock you purchased in 1990, you would need to re-register them with the transfer agent from your name to that of the trust, “Jane Smith as Trustee for the Orville Smith Cabin Trust on June 23, 2017” for instance. Transfer of the cabin and property itself would require a trip to the county recorder’s office.

Any need for new financial accounts?

If each of the siblings is going to donate $5,000 to the trust for upkeep, you might need to open a bank account. There are many banks and brokerage companies who cater to trusts. When setting up this account, be aware that banks usually will ask for a copy of the trust instrument.

Your estate planning attorney who assisted in setting up the trust instrument is usually also available to answer questions during the funding process.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Watch Our Firm Video

We are the premier Elder Law firm in the Colorado region. We set ourselves apart from other law firms in the area with our talent, dedication, compassion and ability of our attorneys to handle any case in Elder Law. We serve Colorado families with experience and dignity in your time of need.

View More Videos

Denver Office
650 S.Cherry St., Suite 710
Denver, CO 80246

Toll Free: 1-888-472-1088
Phone: 303-872-5980
Fax: 303-355-8501
Denver Law Office Map

Edwards Office
105 Edwards Village Blvd.
Edwards, CO 81632

Toll Free: 888-472-1088
Toll Free: 1-888-472-1088
Fax: 303-355-8501
Edwards Law Office Map

Aspen Office
600 East Hopkins Avenue
Suite 301
Aspen, CO 81611

Toll Free: 888-472-1088
Toll Free: 1-888-472-1088
Fax: 303-355-8501
Aspen Law Office Map

  • Rated by Super Lawyers Macro Chayet
  • Rated by Super Lawyers Frank J. Danzo, III
  • Member National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. TM
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb Top Attorney Elder Law
  • 2015 Five Star Professional Wealth Manager Multi-Year Winner
  • Our new 2015 Medicaid Book: how to protect your Family's Assets from devastating nursing home costs
  • Peer Review Rated For Ethical standards & Legal Ability TM Martindale Hubbell