More Than 20 Years Of Serving Colorado Families And Businesses In Times Of Need
Jennifer E. Shaler
- Estate and Trust Planning and Administration
- Guardianship & Conservatorships
- Guardian ad Litem
- Estate Planning
- Wills, Powers of Attorney & Trusts
- Special Needs & Disability Planning for Adults and Children
- Long Term Care Planning
- Probate Law & Probate Litigation
- Estate and Trust Administration
- Representation of Fiduciaries
- Real Estate Transactions
- Colorado, 2006
Ms. Shaler’s interest in probate & elder law developed during her tenure as a law clerk for the Hon. C. Jean Stewart, at Denver Probate Court. Her years of experience at the court provided Jennifer with an in-depth understanding of all areas of probate law, including wills and will contests, estate administration, trust interpretation and reformation, fiduciary litigation, protective proceedings (guardianships, conservatorships, approval of settlements for minors and adults with incapacities),civil mental health law, charitable bequests, partnership matters, and related civil matters.
Jennifer gained valuable insight into family dynamics, mental health, the aging process and issues related to transfer of wealth. She believes proactive, effective communication and coordinated planning are essential to preparing one’s family or business for life’s transitions. Jennifer is a trained mediator, and utilizes mediation skills in her practice.
Ms. Shaler’s professional interests also include matters of incorporation, business planning, and nonprofit entities. She has worked in-house for Johns Manville (a Berkshire Hathaway corporation) and is a “second career” lawyer, having had a career in resort hotel management prior to attending law school.
Professional and community activities: Ms. Shaler is a member of the Colorado Bar Association’s Elder Law and Trust & Estate sections, the Denver Bar Association, the Northwest Colorado Bar Association, and the Denver Area Women’s Estate Planning Council. She is a Fellow of the Colorado Bar Foundation and is admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado. She has presented continuing legal education sessions to the Women’s Estate Planning Council and to the Denver Bar Association regarding challenges facing probate courts in a down economy and the opportunities those challenges present.
Jennifer attended college at the University of Kansas and law school at the University of Denver. She is a 2012 graduate of the Colorado Bar Association Leadership Training (COBALT) program and was a participant in Leadership Steamboat. She is a founding member and serves on the Board of Directors of Ginger’s Tomorrow (the Virginia L. DeSalvo Foundation to Benefit Lupus Research). She volunteers for the Bar Association’s “Colorado Lawyers for Colorado Veterans” and for Lawline 9.
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Denver, Colorado
- University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kansas
- B.A., Bachelor of Arts
- Colorado Bar Association, Trust & Estate and Elder Law Sections, Member
- Denver Bar Association
- Northwest Colorado Bar Association
- Women's Estate Planning Council
- Denver Probate Court Top Performer Award for Distinguished Performance
- Outstanding Corporate Intern Award, University of Denver College of Law
- State of Kansas Scholar
- Recipient, Big Red One Scholarship from The Society of The First Infantry Division
Classes & Seminars
- Guest Presenter, Women's Estate Planning Council
- Guest Presenter, Denver Bar Association
- Guest Presenter, Routt County Council on Aging