Chayet & Danzo, LLC

Call for a Free Initial Consultation

Direct 303-872-5980
Toll-Free 888-472-1088
Email Us

Compassion, talent and dedication:
guiding colorado families and Their Trusted Advisors During Times of Need

When is it time to change your Will

Is your estate plan up-to-date? Many people are unsure of when to change a will and how to go about doing so.

Fortunately, the process isn’t as complex as many fear. Working with an experienced estate planning attorney is advisable to ensure that your assets are protected and wishes made known.

If you are interested in speaking to an estate planning attorney about updating or revising your will, please call Chayet & Danzo, LLC, at 303-872-5980.

Is It Time to Change Your Will, Trust or Estate Plan? It May Be If Any of the Following Circumstances Apply:

  • You have recently married or divorced.
  • You recently adopted or gave birth, or you lost a child, grandchild, parent or spouse.
  • There was a change in whom you want to name as a trustee or personal representative or guardian.
  • You have minor or disabled children or grandchildren and you don’t have a will that names a guardian or creates a trust.
  • You have a parent who is disabled and there has been no planning for long-term care.
  • Your estate has increased in value, or you have inherited property, but you have not provided for any estate tax planning in your will.
  • You have moved from a community property state to a common law state, or you have moved from a common law state to a community property state.
  • You have a disabled spouse and you have not provided for a trust, or a trust in your will.
  • You have remarried and you have children by a prior marriage and/or children by a second marriage.
  • You have adopted a child, or your child has adopted a child.
  • There has been a change of ownership in the family business.
  • Your child has filed for divorce or bankruptcy.
  • You have an estate subject to federal estate tax and your will uses a pre-1981 marital formula clause.
  • You have purchased or sold property that was specifically devised in your will.
  • You have acquired assets in another state that you have not placed in a trust.
  • A loved one has entered or is about to enter a nursing home.
  • You need to take advantage of the new family estate tax business exclusion, or you are contemplating making significant gifts to your children.

If you have any questions about your specific circumstances, please do not hesitate to contact our office to schedule a meeting with one of our lawyers.

Contact Our Firm

Co-Counsel Services for
settling of Personal Injury and Divorce Cases

Read More

Important intake forms

Prepare for your Meeting

Our Elder Law & Estate Planning Blog

Read Weekly Updates

Join our mailing list

Sign up here

Recent Blog Posts

Have you considered naming a professional as your trustee?

Adding a trust to your estate plan can protect your loved ones and give you more control over your legacy. Unfortunately, a trust is often only as good as the trustee you name. If you choose someone who turns out to be unethical and who has no qualms about stealing...

Worried about estate planning? Get started with a basic will

If you are planning to put together your first will, you probably have a lot of questions. You may wonder what kind of information you need to put into it and if it’s worth working with an attorney when you don’t have much to leave behind. For most people, working...

Is an irrevocable or revocable trust best for your needs?

A person who has assets to pass down to their heirs and beneficiaries can sometimes do that in a will. However, many people opt to use trusts because they can bypass the probate system. The individual who creates the trust can set certain terms for the disbursement by...

3 reasons you might need a guardianship to support a loved one

The idea of a guardianship makes many people feel uneasy. Plenty of concerned and loving adult children of aging parents delay seeking a likely necessary guardianship because they don't want to limit their parents' independence or damage their relationship. It is easy...