Chayet & Danzo, LLC Chayet & Danzo, LLC
Law Pay

Call for a Free Initial Consultation

Direct 303-872-5980
Toll-Free 888-472-1088
Email Us


After careful review of the COVID-19 environment, the law firm of Chayet & Danzo, LLC, will be conducting in-person appointments in our offices on a limited basis and with strict social distancing protocols.

During this time, our team will continue to diligently work remotely on all client matters and will maintain communication through email, telephone, and video conferencing. Our main office number, (303) 355-8500 will continue to be answered during our normal business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Fridays.

This decision to have limited appointments in-office while following strict social distancing protocols is in the best interest and health of our team, clients and community.

We will continue accepting new clients during this period as well as fully servicing our existing clients.

We wish you and your family continued health during these unique and challenging times.

Compassion, talent and dedication: guiding colorado families and Their Trusted Advisors During Times of Need

Do you suspect financial, physical or emotional elder abuse?

Here at our law firm, we advise family members and other interested persons about steps to take when they suspect some kind of abuse may be going on with an elderly loved one. We also represent senior citizens themselves as well as their family members, guardians or conservators who are seeking legal remedies like lawsuits for financial exploitation or for neglect or abuse in a care arrangement. 

Abuse is wide ranging 

It is true that elder abuse or neglect comes in many forms and can happen at the hands of a wide variety of people in an elder's life. There are so many different living situations for elderly Coloradans and each brings its own opportunities for exploitation.

The person you are concerned about may live alone at home or with a relative or friend. The elder may have informal or formal structures in place for care assistance. 

A wide variety of living and care options exist out there with a range of structure and support. An elder may live in a senior assisted living community with minimal need for medical, housekeeping or dietary assistance, or in a full-service nursing home if he or she has advanced physical or mental impairments. 

Regardless of the arrangement, their vulnerabilities make them targets for unscrupulous people, including spouses, relatives, friends, caretakers and strangers. 

Types of abuse 

Elder abuse can take many forms: 

Signs and symptoms to watch out for 

  • Unexplained bruising, marks, cuts, burns or more severe injuries
  • Unusual or abrupt changes in behavior or mood
  • Social withdrawal
  • Suspicious activity in financial accounts, or missing property or money
  • Evasive, uncooperative or argumentative staff
  • Bedsores, poor hygiene, weight loss, poor housecleaning
  • Verbal abuse by relatives or caregivers
  • Inadequate supervision or staffing
  • Failure to follow medical orders
  • And more 

What to do? 

In an emergency, it is of course necessary to call 9-1-1 for law enforcement and emergency medical services. The elderly victim may need immediate medical intervention or police services may be required to apprehend a wrongdoer, stabilize an emergency situation or gather evidence of crime. Management of any facility or service provider involved should also be immediately notified. 

In Colorado, a report may be made to Adult Protective Services or APS to start official investigation of and intervention into suspected abuse or neglect or to act if someone is at risk. Certain professionals like doctors and therapists are mandated by law to report suspicions of elder or neglect to law enforcement. 

At our law firm, we assist clients in practical responses to stop abuse and neglect. Does a new living arrangement need to be made? Does the family need to find a different in-home care company? Does a guardian or conservator need to be appointed? Would a financial power-of attorney be appropriate? Does there need to be financial planning for the potential need for Medical Assistance to pay for institutional care? 

In the long run, would a personal injury or other kind of lawsuit be an appropriate step to seek compensation for injury, pain and suffering or financial loss? 

An experienced Colorado lawyer can help to assess the situation and take immediate steps.





No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Watch Our Firm Video

We are the premier Elder Law firm in the Colorado region. We set ourselves apart from other law firms in the area with our talent, dedication, compassion and ability of our attorneys to handle any case in Elder Law. We serve Colorado families with experience and dignity in your time of need.

View More Videos

Denver Office
650 S.Cherry St., Suite 710
Denver, CO 80246

Toll Free: 1-888-472-1088
Phone: 303-872-5980
Fax: 303-355-8501
Denver Law Office Map

Edwards Office
105 Edwards Village Blvd.
Edwards, CO 81632

Toll Free: 888-472-1088
Toll Free: 1-888-472-1088
Fax: 303-355-8501
Edwards Law Office Map

Aspen Office
600 East Hopkins Avenue
Suite 301
Aspen, CO 81611

Toll Free: 888-472-1088
Toll Free: 1-888-472-1088
Fax: 303-355-8501
Aspen Law Office Map

  • Rated by Super Lawyers Macro Chayet
  • Rated by Super Lawyers Frank J. Danzo, III
  • Member National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc. TM
  • Avvo Rating 10.0 Superb Top Attorney Elder Law
  • 2015 Five Star Professional Wealth Manager Multi-Year Winner
  • Our new 2015 Medicaid Book: how to protect your Family's Assets from devastating nursing home costs
  • Peer Review Rated For Ethical standards & Legal Ability TM Martindale Hubbell